Punjabi Breakfast Cholay (Chickpeas)
The other day I was fortunate enough to have some friends come over to try some of my cooking for brunch. One of the items on the menu was a traditional Punjabi dish made of chickpeas. This dish is extremely easy to make and the spices can be adjusted to taste. Typically it is served with poori or parata and is the salty portion of the traditional halva poori meal. In latter posts I’ll put up the recipes for the paratay and halva. Until then enjoy this easy to make dish.
- 6 – 15.5 oz. cans of garbanzo/chick peas
- 2 Tbs. salt
- 2 Tbs. spicy red pepper
- 2 Tbs. tamarind paste
- 1 Tbs. cumin
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 plum tomatoes
- 2 boiled eggs
- First you’ll need to strain out the chick peas. Keep the water from one of the cans and discard the rest.
- Place the chickpeas in your serving bowl and set aside.
- Chop the jalapeno, onions, and tomatoes into large chunks and set aside.
- With the water you have add the salt, red pepper, tamarind paste, and cumin. Microwave for about 1 minute to help the tamarind paste dissolve. Mix the solution until all of the items are well incorporated.
- Now mix the water solution, onion mix, and the chick peas together.
- Chop the cilantro on place on top of the chickpeas.
- Slice the boiled eggs and place on top of the cilantro.
And you’re ready to eat! Grab some friends and enjoy some food!