If you went to an Albuquerque Public School then you know what a Gold Bar is. It is basically a delicious, crispy, chocolaty, peanut butter bar. After searching the web I was able to find a Blog that had a basic recipe for the delightful dessert. (Chow City) The recipe is easy to make and the results are excellent! I used the recipe, but with some minor tweaks.
Prep Time: Less than an hour.
- 4 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 2 Cups Rice Krispies
- 2 Cups Confectioners’ Sugar (Powdered Sugar)
- 2 Cups Extra Crunchy Skippy Peanut Butter
- 1 1/2 Cups Semisweet Chocolate Chips (More if you want a thicker chocolate layer)
- 2 Tbsp. Light Corn Syrup
Crispy Peanut Butter Layer Prep:
- Put peanut butter & butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1.5 minutes. This will make it easier to mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the corn syrup to the bowl of melted goop.
- In a bowl (I used a saute pan because I didn’t have a bowl) add the Rice Krispies.
- Over the Rice Krispies pour the goop and add some of the powdered sugar.
Note: When you add the powdered sugar place it in a strainer and tap the strainer against your hand to shake out the sugar. This method is known as Sifting the sugar. Basically you do this to prevent any sugar lumps in the mixture.
- Mix the ingredients in the bowl and continue to add the sugar until you finish it all.
- Press mixture evenly into a 9-by-13-inch pan that has been lined with plastic wrap and lightly oiled (to prevent sticking).
Chocolate Layer Prep:
- Melt chocolate in double boiler.
Note: If you’re like me, then you don’t have a double boiler. So what can you do? Easy, I used the steaming pot of my pasta pot and a Ziplock bag. Bring water to a boil in the pasta pan and place the chocolate chips in the Ziplock bag. Once the water is boiling place the Ziplock bag in the steaming pot and wait for the chocolate to melt. Make sure that the bag is sealed closed because you don’t want to get steam in the chocolate. Also, this technique is nice because after you use the chocolate you can just throwaway the bag. No mess!! =^D
- Spread the melted chocolate evenly over Rice Krispie mixture; chill until set, but not hard (chocolate will begin to lose its shiny appearance).
- Cut into pieces of desired size. Return to refrigerator until chocolate has hardened completely.
- Remove from pan and store in tightly covered container in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Voilà! Now you can remember Elementary School and enjoy the best snack at the snack bar.