Oven Roasted Chicken (Desi Style)
This is an easy way to make a whole roasted chicken. The spices are average for Desis, but you can add or remove some to your liking.
Prep Time: Minimum 5 Hours, but overnight is better.
- ~7lbs. Whole Chicken with Skin
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1.5 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 Cup Fat Free Plain Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice or 1 Freshly Squeezed Lemon. (Optional)
Place all dry items in a bowl and mix them together. It should look like a mix of red and white sand. Now add the yogurt and the lemon juice. The juice adds a nice little kick to the final product. The masala (marinade) is ready and you can now prep the chicken.
- Make sure to wash your chicken thoroughly after getting it out of it’s bag. Now the fun part! You need to separate the skin from the body of the chicken without braking it and keeping it on the chicken. What you are to do is break the membrane that connects the skin to the body. By doing this you’ll create a place where you can put the masala so it will be sandwiched between the chicken and the skin. This allows the flavors to enfuse into the meat better when you’re cooking.
- Once that’s done you can use about 1/4 of the masala to rub inside of the chicken’s cavity. Make sure that you rub it both on top and bottom. Use another 1/2 of the masala to rub into the the pocket you made under the skin. Be sure to go all the way around the chicken and to the legs and wings too. With the remaining 1/4 of the masala rub it on the outside of the chicken.
- Tie the legs of the chicken so it looks like one of those turkeys you see on those Thanksgiving commercials.
- Let the chicken sit at room temperature for about an hour and then place in the refrigerator for an additional 5 hours (Overnight better).
About an hour before you want to cook the chicken you should remove it from the refrigerator to let it come to room temperature. I’m lucky enough to have a toaster oven that s big enough to fit a 7 lbs. chicken. Also, this oven has a convection option.
- Let the oven warm up to 350 °F.
- Place the chicken in the oven and let it cook for about 1 hour.
- After an hour check to see if the chicken has started to brown. If it has, remove the chicken from the oven and flip it over and put it back in. This will allow for the bottom side to cook thoroughly and also for it to get that nice brown color as well.
- After about 30-45 minutes, the bottom side should be browned.
- Flip the chicken again and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- To check to see if the chicken is cooked, poke it with a fork. When you remove the fork you should not see “juice” coming out of the holes. If you do, you need to cook longer.
Eat with some homemade naan (I’ll post how to make some soon) and your good to go!